Food and drink are essential for making holidays and special occasions truly celebratory. Some people celebrate these moments with a sweet treat or a stiff drink. Some of us celebrate with both! If you’re like us, then this recipe is the best of both worlds. This decadent chocolate cake is infused with rich stout and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting. Inspired by Nigella Lawson’s classic Guinness Cake recipe, we have adapted this recipe to best suit the Suvie.
Chocolate Stout Cake
- ¾ cup stout beer, ideally chocolate stout
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, plus 4 tbsp softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
1) In a large saucepan heat the stout, 6 tbsp butter, granulated sugar, and cocoa powder over medium heat until butter is melted. Cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly until sugar has dissolved. Remove pan from heat and let cook slightly.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
3) In a large bowl whisk together sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add stout mixture, whisking to combine. Add flour and stir until incorporated.
4) Spray a Suvie pan with cooking spray and line with parchment. Transfer batter to prepared pan and insert into the top of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 1 hour and 30 minutes
Starch: 0 minutes
5) While the cake cooks, whisk powdered sugar, cream cheese, and remaining 4 tbsp softened butter until smooth. Set aside.
6) Remove cake from Suvie and allow to cool completely in the pan. Remove cake and top with frosting. Dust with cocoa powder if desired. Cut into pieces and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 570, Total Fat 31g, Total Carbohydrates 69g, Total Sodium 190mg, Total Protein 6g