Za’atar is a Middle Eastern herb blend consisting of sumac, thyme, sesame seeds, and other herbs and spices such as oregano, coriander, and cumin. Za’atar has a fresh, citrusy flavor that pairs nicely with lemon. In this easy sheet pan recipe we let the bright citrus flavors of za’atar and lemon shine on crisp asparagus spears and succulent chicken.
Za'atar Chicken with Asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 2 (7 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tbsp za’atar
- 6 oz asparagus, ends trimmed
1) Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450°F. Cut half the lemon into thin slices and juice the other lemon half into a small bowl.
2) Rub chicken all over with 1 tsp vegetable oil and season with za’atar, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper.
Arrange lemon slices on one half of a sheet pan. Arrange chicken on top of the lemon slices and place in the oven.
Roast chicken for 10 minutes.
3) While the chicken roasts, rub asparagus all over with remaining vegetable oil and season with ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp ground black pepper.
4) After 10 minutes, carefully remove sheet pan from oven and arrange asparagus spears on the empty half of the pan.
Return pan to oven and roast until chicken is fully cooked and registers 160°F with an instant-read thermometer and asparagus is browned, about 5-7 more minutes.
5) Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Divide asparagus between plates and season with reserved lemon juice. Cut chicken into slices and divide between plates. Garnish with additional za’atar if desired.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 300, Total Fat 13g, Total Carbohydrates 3g, Total Sodium 1050mg, Total Protein 44g