Baharat is a popular Middle Eastern spice blend consisting of cumin, coriander, cardamom, paprika, and baking spices, perfect for unctuous meaty cuts of lamb. The lamb is seasoned and seared before being slow cooked until fork tender. Chickpeas join the simmering liquid, absorbing all the savory, fragrant baharat spices. The finished dish is topped with fresh cilantro and mint along with dollops of Greek yogurt.
Baharat Slow Cooked Lamb with Warm Chickpea Salad
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless leg of lamb
- 3 tbsp baharat seasoning
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 (15.5 oz can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 pieces naan bread, toasted
1) Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Cut the lamb into 3 portions about 10 oz each to better fit in the Suvie. Pat lamb dry with paper towel and season with baharat seasoning. Once the oil is shimmering, carefully place lamb into the skillet and sear until browned, about 30 seconds per side.
2) Once seared, remove the lamb pieces and divide between two Suvie pans.
Add shallots, garlic, broth, tomato paste, and vinegar to the skillet and whisk to combine, scraping up any browned bits that have accumulated at the bottom of the skillet. Once blended, remove the skillet from the heat.
3) Divide broth mixture and chickpeas between the two Suvie pans and place in the top two zones of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook
High, 4 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
4) After the cook, remove pans from your Suvie. Transfer the lamb and pan juices to a large bowl and use forks to shred into bite-sized pieces. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5) Divide chickpeas and lamb between 4 plates. Top with tomatoes, cilantro, mint, and yogurt. Serve with naan bread on the side.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 965, Total Fat 27g, Total Carbohydrates 90g, Total Sodium 802mg, Total Protein 88g