In this delicious, comforting meal, silky smooth grits and spicy pepper jack cheese serve as the base for tender blocks of barbecue tofu. No need to stir these grits for hours on end; the low and gentle heat ensures a creamy finish with no lumps. Because tofu is a blank canvas, be sure to pick your favorite BBQ sauce for this recipe. We recommend making your BBQ from scratch for the best tasting results. Use any one of our recipes.
BBQ Tofu with Cheesy Pepper Jack Grits
- 1 (15 oz) block firm tofu
- 1 cup coarsely ground corn grits or polenta
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup BBQ sauce, plus extra to serve
- 4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
1) Cut 1 (15 oz) block of firm tofu into ½-inch thick slices. Arrange tofu on a double layer of paper towels, place additional paper towels on top of tofu, and place a heavy pot on top of the tofu and allow to drain for 15 minutes.
2) In a Suvie pan, stir together 1 cup grits, 4 cups water, and 1½ tsp kosher salt. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie.
3) Once tofu has drained, transfer to a Suvie pan with ½ cup BBQ sauce. Place pan in the top zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 4 hours
4) After the cook, whisk 4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese into grits and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide polenta between shallow bowls. Cut tofu into cubes.
5) Spoon tofu over polenta, garnish with scallions, and serve with extra barbecue sauce on the side.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 360, Total Fat 16g, Total Carbohydrates 35g, Total Sodium 1340mg, Total Protein 19g.