Black lentils are also known as Beluga lentils for their resemblance to caviar. These tiny black legumes retain their shape better than other varieties and make a show stopping side dish. We serve the lentils with silky smooth yogurt, a quick homemade garlic chile oil, and a handful of fresh herbs. Add a roast salmon filet or slices of grilled chicken to take this dish into entree territory.
Black Lentils with Yogurt and Herbs
- 1 cup black lentils, rinsed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup mixed herbs, such as mint, cilantro, basil, and parsley, torn
1) Place 1 cup rinsed black lentils and 2 cups water place in a Suvie rice pot (black handles). Cover pot with a lid and place into the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring the pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Slow Cook, High, 30 minutes
2) While the lentils cook, heat 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, ½ tsp smoked paprika, ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, and ¼ tsp black pepper in a small skillet over low heat. Cook until garlic cloves are pale golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp water, and a pinch of salt.
4) When the lentils are done cooking, drain thoroughly and season with salt to taste. Transfer to a serving plate. Spoon yogurt over the lentils. Drizzle garlic oil over the yogurt and finish with ¼ cup mixed herbs.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 340, Total Fat 16g, Total Carbohydrates 36g, Total Sodium 320mg, Total Protein 17g.