Creamy, comforting risotto with butternut squash and sage is simple to make with Suvie because constant stirring is not required. Canned, frozen, or fresh squash puree all work well in this recipe, as would pumpkin puree (canned “pumpkin” is often mislabeled butternut squash). If you grate down a Parmesan wedge for this risotto, don’t let the rind go to waste—any Italian nonna will instruct you to let it simmer in a pot of something savory. We might even suggest adding the rind to your Suvie in Step 2, and discarding it before serving.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal and do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigeration, sauté the olive oil, onion, ¼ tsp ground black pepper, and ½ tsp salt in a small skillet over medium heat until softened, about 6 minutes, instead of broiling in Step 1.
Butternut Squash Risotto with Sage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup medium-grain rice, such as arborio
- 3 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2½ cups vegetable or chicken broth, warmed, separated
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- 3 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1) Stir olive oil, onion, ¼ tsp ground black pepper, and ½ tsp salt together in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into the top of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, until soft.
2) Remove pan and stir in rice, sage, 1½ cups of warm broth, squash puree, and white wine. Return pan to your Suvie, fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 1 hour and 30 minutes
Starch: 0 minutes
3) Remove pan from Suvie and slowly stir in remaining 1 cup warm broth. Continue stirring until risotto is creamy, about 60 seconds.
4) Stir butter and parmesan cheese into the risotto until smooth. Divide risotto between bowls, sprinkle with extra Parmesan, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 264, Total Fat 9g, Total Carbohydrates 39g, Total Sodium 694mg, Total Protein 6g