We took our favorite chicken noodle soup recipe and updated it to highlight our favorite winter vegetables: parsnips. Sweet and earthy, parsnips are the ideal contrast for savory chicken, tender egg noodles, and herbaceous broth. Fresh thyme and dried bay leaf are all you need to improve store-bought chicken broth. Because parsnips impart their own natural sweetness into the soup, be sure to season with salt and pepper just before serving to balance all the flavors. Note: This recipe can easily be adapted to feed four people, simply double the ingredients and divide between two Suvie pans.
Chicken and Parsnip Soup
- 7 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 oz egg noodles
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves, to serve
1) Pat chicken dry and season with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp black pepper.
2) Combine chicken, onions, parsnips, celery, chicken broth, thyme, bay leaf, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into the top of your Suvie. Place egg noodles in a starch pan and insert into you Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
Low, 3 hours
Starch: 8 minutes
3) After the chicken has finished cooking, remove all the pans from your Suvie. Transfer chicken breast to a cutting board and shred into pieces with two forks, or cut into ½” cubes.
4) Remove and discard thyme and bay leaf from pan. Divide pasta and chicken evenly between 2 bowls. Spoon soup over the chicken, stirring to incorporate. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 310, Total Fat 5g, Total Carbohydrates 27g, Total Sodium 1000mg, Total Protein 36g