Chicken Scarpariello is a classic Italian-American recipe. Pan-seared chicken thighs are slow cooked with sweet Italian sausage, bell peppers, tangy pickled cherry peppers, wine, and broth. Scarpariello, or the “shoemaker’s chicken”, is well known for being an easy rustic meal. The pan sauce picks up the punchy notes of the pickled peppers and makes a perfect pairing with the hearty grains. Farro is a Mediterranean staple, a wholesome grain with a nutty flavor and soft-chewy texture, and a side dish well suited for this recipe. Buon appetito!
Chicken and Sausage Scarpariello
- 2 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 cup yellow chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ cups chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup sliced red pickled cherry peppers or peppadew peppers
- ½ cup rosé or dry white wine
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup farro
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1) Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels and season all over with 2 tsp salt and ½ tsp ground black pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, carefully place chicken into the skillet and sear until browned, about 1 minute per side. Working in batches if necessary, sear sausages in the skillet until browned, about 30 seconds per side.
2) Divide onion, garlic, bell peppers, and cherry peppers between two Suvie pans. Nestle seared chicken and sausage into the vegetable mixture. Divide wine and broth between both pans.
3) Place the pans into the top two zones of your Suvie. Place farro into the starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook
High, 1 hour 30 minutes
Starch: 35 minutes
4) After the cook, remove all pans from your Suvie. Transfer sausage to a cutting board and slice into 8 large pieces. Season the farro to taste with salt and pepper. Divide farro, vegetables, sausage, and chicken between 4 plates and drizzle with pan sauce. Garnish with rosemary before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 877, Total Fat 57g, Total Carbohydrates 37g, Total Sodium 2057mg, Total Protein 48g