Chicken Scarpariello is a classic Italian-American recipe. Pan-seared chicken thighs are slow cooked with sweet Italian sausage, bell peppers, tangy pickled cherry peppers, wine, and broth. Scarpariello, or the “shoemaker’s chicken”, is well known for being an easy rustic meal. The pan sauce picks up the punchy notes of the pickled peppers and makes a perfect pairing with the hearty grains. Farro is a Mediterranean staple, a wholesome grain with a nutty flavor and soft-chewy texture, and a side dish well suited for this recipe. Buon appetito!
Chicken and Sausage Scarpariello
- 2 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 cup yellow chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ cups chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup sliced red pickled cherry peppers or peppadew peppers
- ½ cup rosé or dry white wine
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup farro
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1) Pat 2 lbs chicken thighs dry with paper towels and season all over with 2 tsp salt and ½ tsp ground black pepper. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, carefully place chicken into the skillet and sear until browned, about 1 minute per side. Working in batches if necessary, sear ½ lb sausage in the skillet until browned, about 30 seconds per side.
2) Divide 1 cup onion, 4 garlic cloves, 1 ½ cup bell peppers, and ½ cup cherry peppers between two Suvie pans. Nestle seared chicken and sausage into the vegetable mixture. Divide ½ cup wine and 1 ½ cups broth between both pans.
3) Place the pans into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 3 hours
Top Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 3 hours
4) When there is approx. 1 hour remaining on the slow cook, place 1 cup farro in the strainer insert, place strainer insert into the green handled pot, and cover with the lid. Place the pot on the hot plate, close the door, ensure drain tray is in place, and hit “cook”.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings:
Grains, Farro, 35 minutes
5) After the slow cook, remove all pans from your Suvie. Transfer sausage to a cutting board and slice into 8 large pieces.
6) After the farro has cooked, remove the strainer insert, and strain off any residual water. Season the farro to taste with salt and pepper. Divide farro, vegetables, sausage, and chicken between 4 plates and drizzle with pan sauce. Garnish with rosemary before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 877, Total Fat 57g, Total Carbohydrates 37g, Total Sodium 2057mg, Total Protein 48g