This hearty stew is packed with punchy flavors. Tangy tomatoes, earthy turmeric, warm cinnamon, and a touch of brown sugar combine to form the flavorful braising liquid for the chicken. Slow cooking the chicken for over 4 hours further infuses the broth with flavor and makes the thighs tender and juicy. If desired, you can shred the chicken thighs, discarding the skin and bones, before serving in the rich broth.
Note: If you would like to schedule this cook, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, broil pans as directed in Step 1 in a conventional oven instead of in your Suvie.
Chicken and Tomato Stew with Farro
- 4 large bone-in skin-on, chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 (15 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup farro or spelt
- ½ cup fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, or mint, roughly chopped
1) Pat chicken dry and season all over with kosher salt, ground black pepper, turmeric, and cinnamon. Divide chicken and onions between 2 Suvie pans and drizzle all over with olive oil. Insert pans into the top zones of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, rotating pan halfway through, until chicken is brown.
2) Divide fire-roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, sugar, and ½ tsp salt between the 2 pans. Return both pans to the top of your Suvie.
3) Place farro in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Setting
Low, 4 hours
Starch, 35 minutes
4) After the cook, remove all pans from your Suvie. Fluff farro with a fork and divide between shallow bowls. Top each serving of farro with a chicken thigh and pour soup around the chicken. Top with herbs and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 440, Total Fat 14g, Total Carbohydrates 40g, Total Sodium 990mg, Total Protein 38g