This hearty stew is packed with punchy flavors. Tangy tomatoes, earthy turmeric, warm cinnamon, and a touch of brown sugar combine to form the flavorful braising liquid for the chicken. Slow cooking the chicken for over 4 hours further infuses the broth with flavor and makes the thighs tender and juicy. If desired, you can shred the chicken thighs, discarding the skin and bones, before serving in the rich broth.
Note: If you would like to schedule this cook, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, broil pans as directed in Step 1 in a conventional oven instead of in your Suvie.
Chicken and Tomato Stew with Farro
- 4 large bone-in skin-on, chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 (15 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup farro or spelt
- ½ cup fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, or mint, roughly chopped
1) Pat 4 chicken thighs chicken dry and season all over with 1 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp turmeric, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Divide chicken and onions between 2 Suvie pans and drizzle all over with 1 tsp olive oil. Place pans in Suvie and broil for 10-15 minutes, rotating pan halfway through, until chicken is brown.
2) Divide 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes, 1 cup chicken broth, 2 tsp sugar, and ½ tsp salt between the 2 pans. Return both pans to Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 4 hours
3) Place 1 cup farro in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot (green handles). Place pot inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Grains, Farro, 1 Cup, 40 minutes
4) After the cook, remove all pans from your Suvie. Fluff farro with a fork, and divide between shallow bowls. Top each serving of farro with a chicken thigh and pour soup around the chicken. Top with herbs and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 440, Total Fat 14g, Total Carbohydrates 40g, Total Sodium 990mg, Total Protein 38g