It’s no surprise that chicken cordon bleu is a classic dish with staying power; who could resist perfectly cooked chicken filled with melted cheese and ham, and topped with crispy, crunchy bread crumbs? No wonder diners across the world have been enjoying this preparation for nearly eighty years. To make this recipe in the Suvie we roll up thin pieces of chicken breast with ham, fontina, Dijon mustard, and thyme and then sous vide them until perfectly cooked before showering them with breadcrumbs and broiling until crunchy.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 2 (7 oz) chicken breasts
- 4 thinly sliced pieces deli ham
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 4 oz fontina cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp olive oil
1) Place chicken breasts on a cutting board and cover with a double layer of plastic wrap. Gently, but forcefully, pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet or a heavy-bottom skillet until ¼ to ⅛” thick. Remove and discard plastic wrap. Season chicken with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
2) Lay deli ham over each piece of chicken, overlapping as needed. Divide Dijon mustard over each slice, spreading into a thin layer. Sprinkle thyme and fontina evenly over both chicken breasts. Roll up chicken breasts and place in a vacuum bag. Vacuum seal and place in a Suvie pan. Cover with water, insert into the top right zone of your Suvie, fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 155°F for 1 hour
3) After the cook, remove chicken from packaging and gently pat dry. Combine bread crumbs, olive oil, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over chicken, pressing to adhere.
4) Transfer chicken to a clean, dry Suvie pan and return to Suvie. Broil for 6-10 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown and fragrant. Remove from Suvie, divide between plates, and serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 490, Total Fat 21g, Total Carbohydrates 12g, Total Sodium 1560mg, Total Protein 62g.