Khao Soi is a Thai noodle soup made with a super fragrant coconut-curry broth. A savory and delicious combination of dried chili peppers (soaked for a short while in hot water to soften), red onion, garlic, ginger, and curry powder make up the red curry paste base. The curry paste is blended with silky coconut milk and umami boosting broth. Chicken thighs are added to the soup broth right before slow cooking, resulting in juicy pieces of fork-tender chicken. Pick your favorite asian-style noodle for this vibrant soup, we suggest chow mein stir fry-style noodles, wheat vermicelli, or ramen noodles (if these noodles are hard to find, substitute with spaghetti, but increase the starch cooking time to 12 minutes).
Chicken Khao Soi (Thai Curry Chicken Noodle Soup)
- 2 dried guajillo or ancho chili peppers
- 1 medium red onion, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (1-inch) piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 6 oz chow mein stir fry noodles, vermicelli, or ramen noodles
- 4 lime wedges, for garnish
1) Soak chili peppers in hot water until soft, about 15-20 minutes, and drain.
2) Cut red onion in half. Thinly slice half and set aside for garnish. Roughly chop remaining half and add to bowl of a food processor. Add chilies, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, fish sauce, curry powder, and ½ cup of the cilantro. Blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds.
3) Divide curry paste, coconut milk, and broth between two Suvie pans, whisking to combine (to streamline this process you can mix everything in a large bowl and then divide the soup between the two Suvie pans).
4) Divide chicken thighs between the two pans, submerging the chicken as much as possible in the soup mixture. Insert both pans into the top two zones of your Suvie.
5) Break up noodles slightly to fit into the starch pan. Insert pan into the lower right zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 2 hours
Starch: 5 minutes
6) After the cook, transfer chicken to a large bowl and shred into bite-sized pieces. Rinse noodles with warm water and stir with a fork to break up any sticky noodle clusters.
7) Divide chicken, noodles, and broth between bowls, seasoning to taste with salt. Garnish soup with reserved onion slices, cilantro, and lime wedges before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 512, Total Fat 28g, Total Carbohydrates 36g, Total Sodium 1177mg, Total Protein 28g