These low-carb stuffed peppers are inspired by the classic recipe for Chiles Rellenos. The traditional recipe consists of cheesy stuffed poblano peppers that are breaded, deep fried, and served with a tangy tomato sauce. Our version removes the cumbersome breading and frying steps. Instead, split stuffed poblanos with chorizo and cheese are slow cooked in a zesty sauce made using pureed fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeños, and cilantro. A tasty twist on an iconic dish.
Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Peppers ‘Rellenos-Style’
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1 lb raw chorizo sausage links
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 4 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, plus 1-2 tbsp extra for garnish
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ lime, cut into wedges
1) Cut poblano peppers in half, lengthwise, removing any seeds and membrane. Using your knife, remove the casings from the sausage links. Place split peppers cut side up on a cutting board and stuff with cheese and sausage. Sandwich the peppers back together and secure, if necessary, with a toothpick.
2) Place tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, cumin, and salt in the bowl of a food processor, blend until smooth.
3) Divide sauce between two Suvie pans. Add stuffed peppers to the pans and place the pans into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 2 hours
4) After the cook, remove the pans from your Suvie. Transfer the peppers to a plate, temporarily, and pour the sauce into a bowl. Whisk to combine the sauce and set aside.
5) Return peppers to the Suvie pans, place the pans into your Suvie, and broil for 7 minutes.
6) Remove the pans from your Suvie. Divide sauce between 4 plates and top with peppers. Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges before serving.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 2 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 389 Total Fat 25g, Total Carbohydrates 17g, Total Sodium 1067mg, Total Protein 27g