Stuffing definitely ranks high on the holiday side dish lists, as it’s the perfect accompaniment for gravy, turkey, and cranberry sauce. There are two camps when it comes to stuffing: camp cornbread and camp bread. In my humble opinion, all stuffing is spectacular stuffing, but there’s just something extra-special about cornbread stuffing. In this recipe, the honey-kissed cornbread is combined with salted butter, sautéed onions, celery, and garlic, and seasoned with sage, thyme, and parsley for the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
Classic Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 lb cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 8 tbsp (1/2 cup) salted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup chicken or turkey broth
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
1) Place 1 lb cubed cornbread in a Suvie pan. Place ½ cup onion, ½ cup celery, and 8 tbsp butter in another Suvie pan and sprinkle with 2 garlic cloves, 1 ½ tsp sage, and 1 tsp thyme. Place the veggies in the top zone of your Suvie and place the cornbread in the bottom zone. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 300°F for 15 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 400°F for 15 minutes
2) Halfway through the cook, stir the cornbread for even toasting. Meanwhile, whisk together 1 cup of broth, 1 egg, 1 tbsp parsley, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper in a large bowl. After the cook, remove the pans from your Suvie. Transfer the toasted cornbread and vegetables to the bowl with the broth and stir to combine. Set the bowl aside for 10 minutes, allowing the cornbread to absorb the broth.
3) Transfer the stuffing to a Suvie pan, cover with foil, and place in the top zone of your Suvie. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 350°F for 30 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 350°F for 30 minutes
4) After the cook, remove the pan from your Suvie and remove the foil. Return the pan to the top zone of your Suvie and roast at 350°F for an additional 30 minutes.
5) After the cook, remove the pan from your Suvie and set aside to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 398, Total Fat 24g, Total Carbohydrates 38g, Total Sodium 1035mg, Total Protein 8g.