We loved Ali Slagle’s delicious vegan black bean soup recipe so much that we had to adapt it for Suvie. Creamy coconut, bright lime, and spicy ginger come together in perfect harmony in this easy slow cooker meal. We love this soup on its own, but a side of cilantro rice and some roasted plantains would be excellent accompaniments.
Creamy Black Beans with Toasted Coconut
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes or plantain chips
1) Stir 1 tbsp vegetable oil and 1 tsp cumin seeds together in a Suvie pan. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie and broil for 5 minutes or until cumin seeds are fragrant.
2) Drain and rinse only 1 can of black beans. When the cumin seeds have toasted, remove pan from Suvie and stir in 1 can rinsed black beans, 1 can black beans with liquid, 1 can coconut milk, 1 tsp kosher salt, and ½ tsp ground black pepper. Return pan to Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 2 hours
3) Remove pan from Suvie and mash ½ the beans with a fork. Stir in zest and juice from 1 lime and 1 tsp grated fresh ginger. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide stew between bowls and top with crushed plantain chips.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 490, Total Fat 24g, Total Carbohydrates 53g, Total Sodium 600mg, Total Protein 21g.