Canelons are a classic Catalan dish consisting of delicate tubes of pasta filled with ground meat and topped with a rich bechamel sauce. Canelons are most often served the day after Christmas and utilize leftover meat from the day before. This recipe is so delicious we think it’s worth making no matter the time of year. Although this recipe requires a bit more work than our usual family friendly dishes, we think that the whole family will love it and enjoy it on any special occasion.
- 8 oz ground pork or meatloaf mix
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sweet vermouth or brandy, optional
- 8 manicotti tubes
- 1 ½ cups milk, any percentage
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1) Stir pork, garlic, onion, olive oil, 1 tsp salt, and vermouth together in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into one of the top zones of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
2) While the meat cooks, prepare the bechamel. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling, but not browned, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk (it may seize up a little here, but don’t worry, just keep whisking!). Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and add nutmeg, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper. Cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
3) Mash meat with a fork until finely ground and then stir in 2 tbsp bechamel sauce. Spread ¼ cup bechamel over the bottom of a Suvie pan. Fill pasta with meat mixture and arrange in a Suvie pan. Pour remaining bechamel sauce over the canelons and insert into one of the top zones of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
Low, 1 hour
Starch; 0 minutes
4) Once the canelons have finished cooking, remove the pan from your Suvie, and sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese. Serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 340, Total Fat 17g, Total Carbohydrates 26g, Total Sodium 200mg, Total Protein 20g