This recipe is a variation of our Short Rib Mac and Cheese recipe, which has been one of our most popular to date. There’s good reason for its popularity: tender chunks of hearty beef short ribs are braised with red wine and aromatics, and served over mac and cheese brimming with melty gruyere topped with a crunchy breadcrumb and parmesan crust. We wanted to provide a gluten free variation, so this recipe features an easy cauliflower puree that’s rich and creamy.
Garlic-Braised Short Ribs with Cauliflower Puree
- 24 oz boneless beef short ribs
- 1 head of garlic, peeled; cloves separated
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 oz demi-glace reduction
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup red wine, beef broth, or water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 lb riced cauliflower
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 2 tbsp butter
1) Season 24 oz boneless beef short ribs on all sides with ½ tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Place in a Suvie pan with the garlic cloves, carrots, and fresh thyme. In a small bowl, whisk together the demi glace, 1 cup red wine, and 2 tbsp cornstarch until fully combined, and then pour the mixture over the short ribs.
2) In a second Suvie pan, combine 1 lb riced cauliflower, 3/4 cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp butter, and 1/2 tsp salt.
3) Insert both pans into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 8 hours
4) After the cook is complete, remove both pans from Suvie. For a smooth cauliflower puree, use a food processor, blender, or immersion blender to puree the cauliflower until creamy. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
5) Divide the cauliflower between plates. Top with the braised short ribs. Stir the sauce in the pan if it has separated and adjust seasoning to taste. Remove the thyme sprigs and spoon the sauce over the short ribs.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pans into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 8 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 520, Total Fat 32g, Total Carbohydrates 22g, Total Sodium 580mg, Total Protein 37g
What are the cook settings for the cauliflower?
Hi Jeff, Suvie always applies the same cook settings to the top and bottom zone when Slow Cooking. Suvie never asks for the top zone setting when Slow Cooking because the time and temperature are predicated on whatever settings you use for the bottom zone. The cauliflower has the same settings as the short ribs, but Suvie automatically sets the top zone once you input the settings for the bottom zone so you don’t have to input anything. Hope that clarifies the situation!