Get ready for the ultimate holiday treat: gingerbread cookie bars. These soft and chewy gingerbread cookies are made using the traditional gingerbread ingredients, including all those wonderfully fragrant baking spices. Once the gingerbread cookie sheet has baked, it is then topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting. Further contributing to the festive flavors, crushed candy canes are sprinkled over the top, adding a fun pop of peppermint to every bite.
Gingerbread Cookie Bars
- 12 tbsp butter, softened plus 4 tbsp, separated
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tsp plus ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 candy canes, crushed
1) Place 12 tbsp softened butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat until the butter is fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of brown sugar and beat for another 2 minutes until combined.
2) Add ¼ cup of molasses, 2 tsp vanilla, and 1 egg to the bowl, and whisk until just combined. Replace the whisk with the paddle attachment.
3) Whisk 2 ¼ cup flour, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg, ¼ tsp ground cloves, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp baking soda together in another large bowl. Add the flour mixture to the bowl with the butter mixture, and slowly stir, gradually increasing the speed from low to medium until the cookie dough is combined, about 5 minutes.
4) Line a Suvie pan with parchment paper and lightly grease with cooking spray. Transfer the cookie dough to the prepared pan and gently press into the pan to form an even layer. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5) While your cookie dough is resting, preheat both zones of your Suvie to Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
6) After your cookie has rested and your Suvie has preheated, remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator, remove the plastic wrap, and place the pan in the top zone of your Suvie. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes
Top Zone: Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes
7) After the cook, remove the pan from your Suvie, and let the cookie sheet cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
8) While your cookies are cooling, place 4 tbsp softened butter, 4 oz cream cheese, 1 ½ cups powdered sugar, and ½ tsp vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on low, gradually increasing the speed, until thoroughly combined and smooth. Set the frosting aside until you’re ready to decorate your cookies.
9) Carefully remove the cookie sheet from the pan and spread the top with frosting. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and cut into squares before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 581, Total Fat 29g, Total Carbohydrates 76g, Total Sodium 450mg, Total Protein 6g.