This soup, a savory base of chicken broth and rice accented with tart lemon juice, becomes rich and velvety with egg yolks added 10 minutes before the cook finishes. Avgolemono refers to a lemon-egg sauce used in Greek and other cuisines, which becomes a soup through the addition of shredded chicken and rice. Our version poaches the chicken breasts directly in the broth for enhanced flavor and perfect texture. Medium-grain rice thickens the broth during the long cook, making the soup luxuriously rich. If you find the soup too thick, stir in a few tablespoons of hot water before serving to reach your desired consistency.
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth, homemade or store bought
- 2 (7 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup medium-grain white rice
- 2 large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
1) In a Suvie pan, stir together chicken stock, rice, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp ground black pepper. Add chicken to pan and insert pan into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 4 hours
2) In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks with lemon juice until well-combined.
3) Ten minutes before soup is done cooking, remove pan from Suvie and and transfer chicken breasts to a plate. Slowly pour an even layer of egg over soup and return pan to Suvie without chicken breasts. Use two forks to shred chicken as soup finishes cooking.
4) After the cook, remove pan from Suvie and stir in the shredded chicken and dill, reserving a few leaves for garnish. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide soup among 4 bowls, sprinkle with remaining dill, and serve.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 4 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 290, Total Fat 7g, Total Carbohydrates 23g, Total Sodium 416mg, Total Protein 32g