Hawaiian mac salad is creamy and tangy with a touch of sweetness. We love this dish alongside hearty BBQ staples like pulled pork, ribs, or grilled chicken because that touch of sugar and tang of vinegar balances the richness of the meat. This dish can be made two days in advance and served cold or room temperature.
Hawaiian Mac Salad
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
1) Place 8 oz macaroni in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot (green handles). Cover pot with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring the pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Pasta, 4 cups, 12 minutes
2) Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup mayo, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp brown sugar, ½ tsp black pepper, and ¼ tsp salt until smooth. Set aside in the refrigerator.
3) Remove pasta from Suvie and transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle ¼ cup apple cider vinegar over the pasta, stirring to coat. Set pasta aside to cool for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4) Pour reserved milk mixture over the macaroni and stir in sliced scallions and carrot. Refrigerate until completely chilled, about 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper just before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 340, Total Fat 28g, Total Carbohydrates 16g, Total Sodium370 mg, Total Protein 4g.