The first versions of soda bread were originally created by Native Americans through the use of a natural soda known as pearl ash. The Irish created their own variation around 1840 after the invention of bicarbonate soda. The magic in this bread lies in the chemical reaction between the baking soda and the acidity in the buttermilk which creates little bubbles of carbon dioxide gas, ultimately giving the bread its characteristic rise and flavor. For a sweeter take on soda bread, sprinkle 1 tbsp turbinado sugar over the buttermilk glaze near the end of the bake.
Irish Soda Bread
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup raisins
- ⅔ cup buttermilk, plus 1 tbsp, divided
- 1 tbsp turbinado or demerara sugar (optional)
1) Line a Suvie pan with parchment. In a large bowl with a fork, combine 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour, ½ tsp baking soda, ¾ tsp kosher salt, and ½ cup raisins.
2) Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in ⅔ cup buttermilk. Stir with a fork until the dough becomes shaggy.
3) With lightly floured hands, gently knead the dough until it begins to form a ball, about 1-2 minutes.
4) Shape the ball into an oval about 9” long by 4” wide. Score three lines approximately ½” deep into the dough, one line down the middle of the dough lengthwise and two lines across the dough widthwise. Transfer the dough to the parchment lined Suvie pan and cover the pan with foil. Load the pan into the bottom of your Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 400°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: None
5) When only 20 minutes remain in the bake, remove the foil from the pan and brush remaining 1 tbsp buttermilk on the top of the loaf. If desired, sprinkle 1 tbsp turbinado sugar over the buttermilk. Return the uncovered pan to the bottom of your Suvie to finish baking.
6) After the cook, remove the pan from your Suvie, and let the soda bread cool completely before slicing. Serve with butter.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 330, Total Fat 1.5g, Total Carbohydrates 63.8g, Total Sodium 417.3mg, Total Protein 8.6g