Jackfruit is unique for its fibrous, meat like texture, making it a useful ingredient in vegetarian cooking. In this recipe we mimic the texture of pulled pork by braising the jackfruit with chipotles in adobo, tomato paste, and garlic powder until tender and shreddable. We serve the tacos with avocado and queso fresco, but you can substitute pickled onions for the cheese if you’d like to make these tacos vegan.
- 1 can jackfruit, drained
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced
- 2 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 flour tortillas
- ½ avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into thin slices
- ¼ cup queso fresco
- 1 lime, quartered
1) Roughly chop jackfruit and transfer to a Suvie pan. Stir chipotle in adobo, barbecue sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, ½ tsp kosher salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper into the jackfruit. Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 2 hours
3) After the cook, broil jackfruit for 10 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking. Remove pan from Suvie and mash jackfruit with a fork or potato masher. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4) Divide mixture between tortillas and top with avocado, queso fresco, and a squeeze of lime.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 2 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 470, Total Fat 19g, Total Carbohydrates 70g, Total Sodium 1080mg, Total Protein 11g