Japanese potato salad is a study in texture. Unlike American potato salads that are usually composed of large pieces of potato, Japanese potato salad recipes call for mashing half the potatoes while leaving the other half chunky. This blend of potatoes provides a creamy potato base interspersed with toothsome pieces of potato. Fresh vegetables also play a prominent role in Japanese potato salad with raw cucumber and carrot providing extra crunch. Serve your potato salad warm, room temperature, or cold.
Japanese Potato Salad
- 12 oz russet potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces, about 3 potatoes
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Japanese mayonnaise*
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 hard-boiled egg, roughly chopped
- 1 Persian cucumber, cut into ¼” cubes
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 oz deli ham, roughly chopped, optional
*Note: If you cannot find Japanese mayonnaise, add ½ tsp sugar and 1 tsp rice vinegar to American-style mayonnaise as a substitute
1) Place potatoes in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Multi-zone Settings
Protein: 120°F 0 min
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 45 minutes
2) While the potatoes cook, stir together rice wine vinegar, mayonnaise, and scallion.
3) Transfer potatoes to a large bowl and mash half with a fork. Season with 1 tsp salt and allow to sit for 5 minutes to cool, stirring occasionally.
Stir in mayo mixture until incorporated.
4) Fold in egg, carrot, cucumber, and ham. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Alternative Cooking Directions:
- To make this recipe on the stovetop, place potatoes in a large saucepan covered with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Mash half the potatoes, leaving the other half whole. Season potatoes with 1 tsp salt and let cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice wine vinegar, mayonnaise, and scallion. Gently fold in egg, carrot, cucumber, and ham. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 190, Total Fat 12g, Total Carbohydrates 19g, Total Sodium 760mg, Total Protein 5g