Enjoy all the flavors of sweet and sour chicken without the hassle of having to deep fry. First we sous vide boneless, skinless chicken breasts until perfectly cooked through. Then we toss the chicken in cornstarch, pan fry to get a little browning, and then stir together with our homemade sweet and sour sauce. We liked the sweet crunch of snap peas, but try bell peppers for a more traditional version of this classic recipe.
Lighter Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2 (7 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, vacuum sealed
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- 3 oz snap peas, sliced
- 2 tsp cornstarch, plus 1 tbsp for dusting
- 1 tbsp water
- ⅓ cup fresh pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
1) Place chicken in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the top right zone of your Suvie. Place rice in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 150°F for 1 hour
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 15 minutes
2) While the chicken cooks, prepare the sauce. Dissolve 2 tsp cornstarch and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl, set aside. In a small saucepan, whisk together pineapple juice, rice vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then whisk in cornstarch slurry. Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
3) After the chicken has finished cooking, remove from packaging and pat dry. Cut chicken into ½ to 1-inch pieces and transfer to a medium bowl. Sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp cornstarch and ¼ tsp salt over the chicken, tossing to coat.
4) Heat 2 tsp vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add chicken and snap peas and cook, stirring often, until chicken is browned, about 2 minutes.
5) Remove from heat and stir in sweet and sour sauce. Divide rice between bowls, top with chicken, and garnish with scallions.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 530, Total Fat 14g, Total Carbohydrates 75g, Total Sodium 710mg, Total Protein 49g