Enjoy all the flavors of sweet and sour chicken without the hassle of having to deep fry. First we sous vide boneless, skinless chicken breasts until perfectly cooked through. Then we toss the chicken in cornstarch, pan fry to get a little browning, and then stir together with our homemade sweet and sour sauce. We liked the sweet crunch of snap peas, but try bell peppers for a more traditional version of this classic recipe.
Lighter Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2 (7 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, vacuum sealed
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 3 oz snap peas, sliced
- 2 tsp cornstarch, plus 1 tbsp for dusting
- 1 tbsp water
- ⅓ cup fresh pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
1) Place 2 vacuum sealed chicken breasts in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the bottom zone Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 150°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: None
2) Place 1 cup jasmine rice in the Suvie rice pot (black handles). Cover pot with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Long Grain, 1 cup
3) While the chicken cooks, prepare the sauce. Dissolve 2 tsp cornstarch and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl, set aside. In a small saucepan, whisk together 1/3 cup pineapple juice, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp ketchup, and 1 tsp soy sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then whisk in cornstarch slurry. Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
4) After the chicken has finished cooking, remove from packaging and pat dry. Cut chicken into ½ to 1-inch pieces and transfer to a medium bowl. Sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp cornstarch and ¼ tsp salt over the chicken, tossing to coat.
5) Heat 2 tsp vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add chicken and 3 oz snap peas and cook, stirring often, until chicken is browned, about 2 minutes.
6) Remove from heat and stir in sweet and sour sauce. Divide rice between bowls, top with chicken, and garnish with scallions.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 530, Total Fat 14g, Total Carbohydrates 75g, Total Sodium 710mg, Total Protein 49g