This light and flavorful fish soup has layers of nuanced flavor thanks to a mix of fresh fennel, herby oregano, fiery red pepper flakes, smoky fire roasted tomatoes, and briny clam juice. To avoid overcooking the fish, we cook the soup for 30 minutes before nestling the cod into the hot broth and finishing with a quick broil. Serve this fish soup with a glass of crisp white wine, a side salad, and some toasted bread for an easy weeknight meal.
Mediterranean Fish Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh fennel
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 lb cod filets cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1) Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add 1/2 cup shallot, 1 cup fennel, ½ tsp oregano, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 1 pinch red pepper flakes. Saute, stirring occasionally until softened, about 10 minutes.
2) In a Suvie pan, stir together fennel shallot mixture, 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, ½ cup dry white wine, and 1 cup clam juice. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 400°F for 30 minutes
Top Zone: None
3) Season cod with ½ tsp kosher salt and ¼ tsp ground black pepper. Remove pan from Suvie and nestle cod pieces into the broth. Return pan to Suvie and set to Broil for 7-19 minutes, or until fish flakes easily.
4) Remove pan from Suvie and season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls and garnish with parsley.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 220, Total Fat 8g, Total Carbohydrates 11g, Total Sodium 900mg, Total Protein 22g.