This mushroom ragout is savory, rich, and hearty, making it the ideal accompaniment to tender pasta. A long slow cook transforms cremini mushrooms into umami-rich morsels, which we mix into a simple mushroom sauce. Dried porcini mushrooms are highly flavorful with a deep woodsy taste that is essential to this dish. If you can’t find dried porcinis you can substitute with dried shiitakes, but the broth won’t be as flavorful.
Mushroom Ragout with Pasta
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 12 oz cremini mushrooms, cut into ¼” thick slices
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz campanelle or rigatoni pasta
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
1) Transfer 1 oz dried porcinis to a medium bowl with 1 cup boiling water. Let soak for 5-10 minutes.
2) Divide 12 oz cremini mushrooms and 1 shallot between 2 Suvie pans. Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil over both pans and season each with ½ tsp kosher salt and ¼ tsp ground black pepper.
3) Place a fine mesh sieve over a medium bowl. Pour porcinis and soaking liquid into the sieve. Transfer porcinis to Suvie pans, stirring to incorporate. Save soaking liquid in the bowl. Place pans in Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on High, 2 hours
4) Place 4 oz pasta in the Suvie starch strainer set within the pasta pot (green handles). Cover pot with lid ad place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Pasta, 4 Cups, 9 minutes
5) Just before the creminis have finished cooking, transfer porcini broth to a small saucepan with 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 tbsp tomato paste, and ¼ tsp salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally until mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in 1 tbsp butter, and cover to keep warm.
6) After the cook, divide pasta and mushrooms between 2 bowls. Ladle mushroom sauce over each serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper, divide between bowls, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 440, Total Fat 22g, Total Carbohydrates 54g, Total Sodium 310mg, Total Protein 11g