There is no dish more closely associated with Valencia than paella. The word paella is itself a Valencian word and means “frying pan”, which specifically refers to the vessel in which paella is made. Traditionally, Valencian paella is made with rabbit, chicken, lima beans, and broad beans. We have adapted the ingredient list slightly, featuring shrimp instead of rabbit, which can be difficult to find in some grocery stores. We found the pan a bit crowded with broad beans, but if you plan to double this recipe you can easily add them to the second pan instead of shrimp in Step 4. Take a quick trip to Valencia with this delicious and easy dish.
Note: Do not fill reservoir before broiling. If you would like to schedule this cook and do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, you can saute the ingredients in Step 1 in a small skillet for 5 minutes over medium heat until softened.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 large pinch saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup (8 oz) chicken stock
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 oz spanish chorizo, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 10 oz peeled, deveined shrimp
- ¾ cup lima or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1) Stir together onion, garlic, tomato paste, paprika, saffron, and 1 tsp of salt in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into the top of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Remove pan and stir in the rice, chicken stock, and sherry vinegar.
3) Season chicken with salt and pepper. Scatter chicken and chorizo over the rice. Insert pan into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook
High, 2 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
4) Twenty minutes before the paella is done cooking, season the shrimp with salt and pepper and add to the pan on top of the chicken.
5) Once the paella is done cooking, transfer to a large bowl and stir in the lima beans. Season paella to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with parsley, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 300, Total Fat 11g, Total Carbohydrates 26g, Total Sodium 530mg, Total Protein 22g