The canary islands are an autonomous Spanish island region located off the coast of Morocco in the Atlantic Ocean. One of the most well known dishes from the Canaries is Papas Arrugadas or wrinkled potatoes. Small, unpeeled potatoes are boiled in salty water and allowed to dry, giving them a wrinkled appearance. The potatoes are then topped with either mojo rojo or mojo verde (red sauce or green sauce). Typically, mojo verde is served with fish whereas mojo rojo is served with meat. To achieve the wrinkly exterior in the Suvie, the potatoes are broiled after cooking to fully dry out the skin. Any leftover mojo you might have can be spread on toast or served with crudites.
Papas Arrugadas con Pescado y Mojo Verde
- 10 oz baby potatoes, less than 2-inches in diameter
- 8 oz white fish, vacuum sealed
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
1) Place baby potatoes and ¼ cup kosher salt in a starch pan. Place white fish in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the top right zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 130°F for 30 minutes
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 45 minutes
2) While the fish and potatoes cook, place jalapeño, garlic, cumin, cilantro, and parsley in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 4 or 5 times to chop and then process for 1 minute until finely ground. With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil followed by the sherry vinegar until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside until ready to serve. (Alternatively, this step can be performed in a large bowl with an immersion blender.)
3) After the fish and potatoes have finished cooking, remove pans from your Suvie. Drain potatoes well and transfer to a clean, dry Suvie pan. Place potatoes in the top right zone of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
4) Remove fish from vacuum bags and divide between plates. Once potato skins have dried and are slightly wrinkled, divide between plates. Top fish and potatoes with reserved mojo verde.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 540, Total Fat 37g, Total Carbohydrates 26g, Total Sodium 910mg, Total Protein 27g