Pasta alla Norma is a classic Sicilian dish consisting of eggplant, tomatoes, pasta, ricotta salata, and basil. The conditions in southern Italy are ideal for growing nightshades such as tomatoes and eggplant, and as a result these two ingredients are found in a multitude of recipes in the region. Broiling the eggplant and then slowly cooking it with the tomato for two hours transforms it into a rich and supple sauce that is packed with flavor. Paired with perfectly al dente rigatoni, pasta alla norma will transport you to Sicily, no passport required.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, saute the eggplant, oil, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes in a large skillet over medium heat until eggplant is softened and starting to brown, about 8 minutes, instead of broiling.
Pasta alla Norma
- 2 medium or 3 small eggplants (1 lb total), cut into ½” cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 4 oz rigatoni
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 oz finely grated ricotta salata
1) Toss eggplant with 2 tsp kosher salt and set aside in a colander to drain for 15 minutes.
2) Blot and press eggplant with kitchen or paper towels to absorb as much water as possible. Divide eggplant between 2 Suvie pans and drizzle with olive oil. Stir in the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Insert pans into your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Do not fill reservoir before broiling.
3) Remove pans from your Suvie and divide tomato paste and diced tomatoes between them. Place rigatoni in a starch pan, fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 2 hours
Starch: 16 minutes
4) After the eggplant has finished cooking, remove all pans from your Suvie. Transfer eggplant and add the rigatoni, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide between bowls and top with basil and ricotta salata.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 510, Total Fat 19g, Total Carbohydrates 72g, Total Sodium 2750mg, Total Protein 14g