A combination of pistachio and almond flour give this gluten-free cake its rustic texture and delicate, nutty flavor. We add a touch of ground cardamom to the cake, which amplifies the bright acidic notes of orange. A bittersweet Campari glaze is the perfect match for the sweet, citrusy cake. If you’re able to source it, organic powdered sugar has a smoother consistency than conventional powdered sugar, making for a velvety soft glaze.
Pistachio Cake with Campari Glaze
- ¾ cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Campari
1) Transfer ¾ cup pistachios to the bowl of a food processor and process until sandy and finely ground, about 30 seconds. Set aside 1 tbsp pistachios.
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together 12 tbsp butter, ½ tsp kosher salt, and ¾ cup sugar on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat for 1 minute more.
3) Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the ground pistachios, ¾ cup almond flour, ¼ tsp cardamom, and zest and juice from 1 orange (you should have about ⅓ cup). Return mixer to medium-low speed and beat until incorporated, about 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and sprinkle in ¼ cup flour and mix until just combined, about 20 seconds.
4) Spray a Suvie pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Transfer batter to the prepared pan and place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes (for Suvie 2.0, Bake at 400°F for 50 minutes)
Top Zone: None
5) Remove cake from Suvie and transfer to a drying rack to cool completely in the pan so that no trace of warmth remains. Lift cake out of pan with parchment sling. Stir together 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tbsp Campari until smooth. Drizzle icing over the cake and top with reserved pistachios. Cut into pieces and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (12 servings per recipe): Calories 250, Total Fat 17g, Total Carbohydrates 24g, Total Sodium 65mg, Total Protein 3g.