Pisto Manchego is usually served at the beginning of a meal as an appetizer or small starter. It is very similar to the French dish Ratatouille, though some in Spain will tell you Pisto travelled north instead of the other way around. Served with bread and Manchego cheese – a salty sheep’s cheese from the La Mancha region that was traditionally aged in woven baskets, which gives it a distinct pattern on the rind – this dish is perfect as a light summer meal.
- 1 lb zucchini or summer squash, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 oz manchego cheese
- 1 small baguette or good crusty bread
1) Divide the diced zucchini between two Suvie pans. Season with ½ tsp salt and stir to combine. Let the zucchini sweat for 10 minutes.
2) Drain any liquid released by the zucchini. Add the diced bell pepper, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, and 2 tbsp olive oil evenly to both pans. Stir to combine and place in the upper zones. Fill reservoir, enter settings and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook & Starch
High, 2 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
3) After the cook, stir the pisto to combine, then broil for 10 minutes stirring once to prevent the top from burning. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4) Serve the pisto with thin slices of manchego cheese and baguette or another crusty bread.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 160, Total Fat 8g, Total Carbohydrates 16g, Total Sodium 360mg, Total Protein 5g