Rice pudding is already the coziest of desserts. We double down on the cozy by taking all the best flavors in pumpkin pie and adding them to our luxuriously creamy and coconutty rice pudding. While cow’s milk is the most traditional liquid used to steep the rice, the many hours slow cooking has an undesirable effect on the milk, causing it to separate. Coconut milk adds richness and is stable enough to stand up to the long cooking time. As a bonus, the nutty flavors in the coconut milk echo the spicy notes in the pumpkin pie spice.
Note: to make your own pumpkin pie spice, combine ¾ tsp ground cinnamon, ½ tsp ground ginger, ½ tsp ground nutmeg, ¼ tsp ground allspice, and ¼ tsp ground cloves.
Pumpkin Spice Rice Pudding
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ⅔ cup white rice
1) In a Suvie pan, whisk together 1 ½ cups boiling water, 1 can coconut milk, ¼ cup light brown sugar, ⅛ tsp salt, ⅓ cup pumpkin puree, and 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice. Whisk in ⅔ cup white rice, until smooth.
2) Transfer mixture to a Suvie pan and insert into bottom of Suvie. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 1 hour and 30 minutes
Top Zone: Slow Cook High for 1 hour and 30 minutes
2) After the cook, stir to incorporate and thin with warm water or milk if desired. Garnish with toppings such as sliced almonds, shredded coconut, and additional pumpkin pie spice.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 240, Total Fat 14g, Total Carbohydrates 36g, Total Sodium 80mg, Total Protein 3g.