This vibrant stew is creamy, comforting, and filled with aromatic flavors. We bolster store-bought curry powder with extra coriander, cumin, and cayenne to add multiple layers of flavor. The spices, garlic, ginger, and onion slowly infuse the red lentils during the long slow cook for a highly flavorful stew that just happens to be vegan. Served with a side of fluffy rice and some fresh cilantro, this stew is a crowd pleaser that will have everyone coming back for more.
Note: If you would like, add 1-2 tsps homemade Curry Powder to add even more flavor to this delicious meal.
Red Lentil Stew
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can full fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1) Heat vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander, cumin, and cayenne pepper until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 2 cups water, scraping the bottom of the pan. Transfer mixture to a Suvie pan.
2) Add lentils, tomatoes, coconut milk (reserving 2 tbsp for garnish), 1 tsp salt to the pan, stirring to incorporate. Transfer pan to the top zone of your Suvie. Place rice in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 2 hours
Starch: 15 minutes
3) After the cook, divide lentils stew between bowls and thin with hot water if desired. Season lentils to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with reserved coconut milk and chopped fresh cilantro.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 560, Total Fat 24g, Total Carbohydrates 79g, Total Sodium 230mg, Total Protein 19g