This delicious dinner comes together in a flash thanks to Suvie’s own Italian-style meatballs. First we cook penne pasta until al dente. Then, we saute garlic and meatballs until browned before adding our tangy marinara. The meatballs are then simmered in sauce to infuse both the meatballs and the marinara with flavor. The penne is stirred in at the end to complete this easy and flavorful weeknight dish.
Simmered Marinara Meatballs
- 4 oz penne pasta
- 2 (5 oz) packages meatballs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 cups (16 oz) marinara sauce
1) Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add penne pasta and 1 tbsp salt.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, about 7 minutes.
Reserve and set aside ½ cup cooking water and then drain pasta.
2) Meanwhile, heat olive oil and garlic cloves in a separate large saucepan over medium heat until garlic begins to sizzle.
Add the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes total.
Remove and set aside garlic once browned.
3) Reduce heat to low and carefully add marinara sauce (sauce will splutter and bubble).
Return garlic cloves to pot. Return heat to high, cover, and bring to a simmer. Adjust heat to maintain a simmer and cook until meatballs are cooked through and register 160° with an instant-read thermometer, about 5-7 minutes.
4) Add drained pasta to the marinara sauce, stirring to evenly coat.
Add up to ¼ cup cooking water to achieve desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 700, Total Fat 32g, Total Carbohydrates 66g, Total Sodium1690 mg, Total Protein 31g