This slow cooked mac and cheese is made without having to pre boil the pasta, making for lightning fast prep. We found that grating our own cheese yielded better results than using pre-shredded, as most manufacturers add anti-caking agents, which can keep the mac and cheese from achieving the smooth texture we desired. Depending on how much moisture the pasta absorbs, the mac and cheese may come out of the Suvie a bit dry. We found that a tbsp or two of hot water stirred in at the end of cooking helped to loosen everything up and achieve a creamy texture.
Slow Cook Mac and Cheese
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 6 oz shredded monterey jack or colby jack cheese
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
1) In a Suvie pan, stir together macaroni, evaporated milk, garlic powder, onion powder, unsalted butter, cream cheese, shredded cheese, water, ½ tsp kosher salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper. Insert into the top zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
Low, 2 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
2) After the cook, remove pan from Suvie and stir to incorporate (pasta may be a bit sticky, but will eventually break up). Add up to ¼ cup hot water, 1 tbsp at a time, to achieve desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3) Mix together panko breadcrumbs and oil in a small bowl and sprinkle over mac and cheese. Return to Suvie and broil 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from Suvie, divide between plates, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 320, Total Fat 21g, Total Carbohydrates 19g, Total Sodium 470mg, Total Protein 14g.