This recipe for spiced date cake is a low key version of our luxurious sticky toffee pudding recipe. Cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and nutmeg add additional layers of flavor to the classic cake. We dust with powdered sugar for an easy finish that makes this cake suitable for dessert, an afternoon snack, or simple breakfast.
Spiced Date Cake
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped, divided
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
1) Spray a Suvie pan with cooking spray. In a glass measuring cup stir together half the dates, ½ cup boiling water, and ¼ tsp baking soda; set aside for 5 minutes.
2) In a large bowl whisk together 1 cup flour, ¼ tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, ½ tsp cardamom, ¼ tsp nutmeg, and ¼ tsp salt.
3) In the bowl of a food processor, combine remaining unsoaked dates with ¼ cup brown sugar. Pulse 5 times until combined. Pour liquid from soaked dates into the food processor, retaining soaked dates in the glass measuring cup. Add 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla to the food processor. Process until smooth, about 30 seconds. With the food processor running, add 3 tbsp melted butter to the food processor. Continue to process until smooth, about 30 seconds more.
4) Add contents of the food processor and the soaked dates to the flour mixture and stir gently to combine. Pour batter into the prepared pan and insert into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High 2 Hours
5) Remove pan from Suvie and let sit for 10 minutes on a wire rack to cool. Cut into squares, dust with powdered sugar, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 200, Total Fat 5g, Total Carbohydrates 37g, Total Sodium 85mg, Total Protein 3g.