This rich and fragrant Sri Lankan red curry has multifaceted flavor thanks to an array of warming spices. You can prepare this dish with chicken breasts, instead of thighs, but we recommend cooking on Slow Cook Low for the same amount of time. Serve this rich curry with basmati rice and a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice to finish.
Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, sliced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 lime, quartered
1) Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add sliced red onion and until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the sliced garlic cloves and ginger, and cook for 3 minutes more until golden brown. Remove skillet from heat.
2) In a Suvie pan, combine red onion mixture, turmeric, fire roasted tomatoes, 1 tbsp curry powder, ¼ tsp cardamom, ¼ tsp fennel seeds, ⅛ tsp ground cloves, ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon, ⅛ ground nutmeg, 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp ground black pepper, 1 cup coconut milk, and chicken thighs, ensuring chicken is submerged. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie, input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on High for 1 hour 30 minutes
Top Zone: None
3) Place 1 cup basmati rice in the Suvie rice pot (black handles). Cover pot with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring the pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Long Grain, 1 Cup
4) After the rice has finished cooking, fluff with a fork and season to taste with salt. Remove chicken from Suvie and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide rice and chicken between bowls and finish with a generous squeeze of lime juice.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 630, Total Fat 24g, Total Carbohydrates 65g, Total Sodium 720mg, Total Protein 51g.