We took our ever-popular cinnamon roll recipe and transformed it into a juicy, fresh strawberry swirl roll. The key to this recipe is to use a combination of freeze dried strawberries and strawberry jam. The low water content in the freeze dried strawberries allows you to pack tons of berry flavor into every bite without weighing down the rolls or making them too soggy. Adding strawberries to the filling and to the glaze ensures there’s farm-fresh strawberry flavor throughout.
Strawberry Swirl Rolls
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk, any percentage
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, cold
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 oz freeze dried strawberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ oz freeze dried strawberries
- 2 tbsp milk, any percentage
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
1) Spray two Suvie pans with cooking spray; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together 3 ½ cups all purpose flour, ½ cup granulated sugar, 2 tsp instant dry yeast, 1 tsp kosher salt, and ¼ tsp baking soda.
2) In a small saucepan, combine 1 stick butter and ½ cup milk over low heat. Cook until butter is melted and warm, then remove from heat. Whisk the yogurt into the milk to cool slightly (ideally to about 80°F).
3) Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to form a rough dough. Fit mixer with dough hook and mix on slow speed until smooth and elastic, about 15-20 minutes.
4) Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a large plate and allow to rise until doubled in size in a warm place, about 1 ½ to 2 hours.
5) While the dough rises, prepare the filling. In the bowl of a food processor, combine 1 tbsp flour and 1 oz freeze-dried strawberries. Process until floury and light, about 1 minute. Add ½ cup granulated sugar, 2 tbsp melted butter, ¼ cup strawberry jam, ¼ tsp ground cardamom, and ½ tsp kosher salt.
6) After the dough has risen, transfer to a lightly floured surface and roll into a 13-inch square. Spread filling over the top of the dough (if filling feels stiff, microwave for 30 seconds, stirring halfway through), leaving a ½-inch border around the edge. Roll up dough into a log, pinch the seam and ends to seal. Rearrange log so it’s roughly 12 inches long.
7) Slide a piece of string under the middle of the dough and pull opposite ends together to cut the dough in half. Use the same method to cut each half into 6 portions (12 rolls total). Divide rolls evenly between prepared pans, cover with foil, and let sit for 1 hour to rise.
8) Place covered pans in Suvie. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 400°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: Bake at 400°F for 1 hour
9) While the cinnamon rolls bake, prepare the icing. In the bowl of a food processor, blend 1 cup powdered sugar and ¼ oz freeze dried strawberries until light and airy, about 1 minute. With the motor running, add 2 tbsp Greek yogurt and 2 tbsp milk and process until thick, about 1 minute more.
10) Remove pans from your Suvie and let sit for 5 minutes before frosting and serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (12 servings per recipe): Calories 360, Total Fat 10g, Total Carbohydrates 60g, Total Sodium 260mg, Total Protein 7g.