This Independence Day we’re serving up slices of sweet vanilla cake and dishing out a reminder to vote. No matter your state, it’s important to make your voice heard, so while you’re waiting for this cake to bake, use the time that Suvie saves you to read up on candidates running for election and register to vote if you aren’t already. There’s no better time to mull over the power of democracy than over a fluffy, rich piece of cake topped with tangy cream cheese frosting and ripe summer berries.
Summer Berry Flag Cake
For the Cake:
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp table salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream, room temperature
- ½ cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (7 ½ oz) all purpose flour
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1 pint raspberries
- Spray a Suvie pans with non stick spray and line with parchment.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, combine sugar, butter, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed to incorporate and then increase speed to medium and beat for 5 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl halfway through.
- With the mixer still running, add the egg and vanilla extract, mixing until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream and heavy cream. Reduce mixer speed to low and add half the flour followed by half the sour cream mixture, letting each incorporate before adding the next. Repeat with remaining flour and sour cream until incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and then pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Insert pan into your Suvie, fill reservoir, input settings and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
HIGH, 1 hour
Starch: 0 minutes
- After the cake has finished cooking, transfer to a drying rack and allow to cool completely in the pan, at least 1 hour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until creamy and light, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stop mixer and add powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Slowly increase speed to medium-high and beat until fully incorporated and smooth, about 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Once the cake is cool to the touch, remove from pan and transfer to a serving platter. Spread frosting over the top and arrange blueberries and raspberries in a flag pattern. Serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 810, Total Fat 46g, Total Carbohydrates 91g, Total Sodium 320mg, Total Protein 12g.