This recipe has a wide variety of flavors and textures to keep you coming back for more. Celery root pulls double duty in this recipe: we use it raw in a fresh and crunchy slaw, and the rest we cook and toss with olive oil for creamy, soft contrast. The slaw also calls for fresh apple (a classic pairing for pork) and raw celery to echo the flavor of the celery root. The pork chops get a boost from spicy honey, which gets drizzled on at the end for a perfect glaze.
Note: To streamline the slaw you can prep the celery root, celery, and apple in advance (toss the cut apple with a splash of vinegar to keep it from browning), but don’t dress the slaw until just before the pork has finished cooking to ensure everything stays crisp.
Sweet and Spicy Pork Chops with Apple Slaw
- 2 pork chops, 6-8 oz each
- 4 tbsp olive oil, separated
- 1 lb celery root, peeled & quartered
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey, plus 1 tsp, separated
- 1 large apple, such as fuji or honeycrisp
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced on the bias
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
1) Pat pork dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Vacuum seal pork chops with 1 tbsp olive oil. Place vacuum-sealed pork into a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 140°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: None
2) Grate one quarter (about 4 oz) of the celery root on the large holes of a box grater and set aside. Cut remaining celery root into 1/2-inch pieces. Place cut pieces of celery root in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot. Cover pot with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Potatoes, Cut, 35 minutes
3) While the pork cooks, prepare the slaw. In a large bowl whisk together 1 tbsp olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and 1 tsp honey. Cut apple into thin matchsticks or grate on the large holes of a box grater, and then add to the bowl with the dressing. Add reserved grated celery root and sliced celery to the bowl, tossing to combine. Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper.
4) In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1 tbsp honey and cayenne pepper.
5) After the pork has finished cooking, remove the pork chops from the bag and pat dry thoroughly. Heat a cast iron pan or heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Add vegetable oil to the pan, swirling to coat. Add the pork chops and sear for 1 minute without moving, pressing on the meat gently to ensure contact with the pan. Flip chops and continue to cook on the other side for 1 minute. Remove chops from the pan and immediately top with the spicy honey.
6) Transfer celery root to a medium bowl, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide apple slaw, celery root, and pork chops between two plates.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 615, Total Fat 35g, Total Carbohydrates 44g, Total Sodium 576mg, Total Protein 39g.