This casserole combines three of our favorite corn-themed side dishes into one: creamed corn, Texas-style corn salad, and corn pudding. The results are delicious, and a very tasty addition to a holiday meal or large gathering. Corn kernels are briefly broiled with red onion, red bell pepper, and garlic to soften before being added to the batter. The batter consists of heavy cream, eggs, and canned cheddar cheese soup for a creamy, custard-like casserole. The entire casserole is seasoned with chipotle peppers in adobo for a moderate kick of smoky heat. If you like your side dishes on the milder side, reduce the amount of chipotle peppers in adobo by half.
Texas Creamed Corn Casserole
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cheddar cheese soup or cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp minced chipotle peppers in adobo
- ½ cup chopped scallions
1) Place 3 cups corn, ½ cup red onion, 1 cup red bell pepper, and 2 minced garlic cloves in a Suvie pan, and stir to combine. Place 2 tbsp of butter on top of the vegetables and place in the top zone of your Suvie. Broil for 10 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, place 1 (10.75 oz) can cheddar cheese soup, ½ cup heavy cream, 2 eggs, 2 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp chipotle peppers, ½ cup scallions, and ½ tsp salt in a large bowl, whisking to combine the casserole batter.
3) Once the vegetables have broiled, remove the pan from your Suvie, and transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the batter. Stir to combine and return the mixture to the Suvie pan. Place the pan in the top zone of your Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 325°F for 60 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 325°F for 60 minutes
4) After the cook, remove the pan from your Suvie, and set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Your casserole will be slightly jiggly when first removed from Suvie, but will firm up after resting. lf your casserole is very loose and jiggly, return it to your Suvie and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 227, Total Fat 13g, Total Carbohydrates 24g, Total Sodium 646mg, Total Protein 7g.