Served here with a garlicky butter sauce, trout is worth adding to your repertoire of ultra-easy fish dishes. White-fleshed varieties are a sustainable alternative to overfished standbys like Atlantic cod, while pink Rainbow Trout can sub in for salmon. Trout fillets are often served with the skin on, crackling from a sear in a ripping hot pan; here Suvie’s broiler will do the job, but if you prefer to remove the skin entirely, it will be easy to peel away after the sous vide. This recipe makes enough lemon garlic butter to drizzle over the green beans, and if you’d like to add a starch to this meal, Israeli couscous cooked in the starch pan for 10 minutes (or white rice, for 14) make a nice bed to catch any extra sauce.
Trout in Lemon Garlic Butter
- 4 rainbow trout fillets, 3.5 oz each
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (½ a stick), softened and divided
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
1) Pat trout fillets dry and vacuum seal with 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp lemon juice, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Place vacuum-sealed fish in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the top right zone of your Suvie. Place green beans in a Suvie pan and insert into the top left zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 130°F for 30 minutes
Vegetable: 7 minutes
2) After the fish has finished cooking, remove pans from your Suvie. Pour off water from both pans and divide green beans between 2 plates. Remove trout from vacuum bags and pat dry. Dry both pans and place 2 trout fillets in each pan (if desired, remove skin from trout fillets; otherwise, place fillets skin-side up). Divide remaining 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and minced garlic between both pans, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Return pan to Suvie and broil trout for 10 minutes, or until butter is melted and garlic is fragrant.
3) Divide trout between plates. Spoon butter sauce over each plate, garnish with parsley, and serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 495, Total Fat 34g, Total Carbohydrates 13g, Total Sodium 850mg, Total Protein 36g