Tamale pie brings together two of our favorite dishes: hearty chili under a blanket of tender cornbread. In this vegetarian version, we make a quick chili by sauteing the scallions, peppers, and spices in a skillet before folding in the beans, cheese, tomatoes, and corn. A classic buttermilk cornbread is dolloped over the top before being slow cooked for two hours.
Vegetarian Tamale Pie
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can refried beans
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese, about 1 cup
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
1) Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add 6 sliced scallions and 1 chopped red bell pepper, stirring to combine. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
2) Add 1 tbsp chili powder, 2 grated garlic cloves, 2 tsp cumin, and 1 tsp salt to the pan, stirring to incorporate. Cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Remove skillet from heat.
3) Add red pepper mixture to a large bowl with 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, 1 can black beans, 1 can refried beans, 1 cup corn kernels, and 4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide mixture between two Suvie pans.
4) In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup cornmeal, 2 tsps sugar , 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 large eggs and 1 cup buttermilk. Add the buttermilk mixture to the cornmeal mixture, stirring to incorporate.
5) Divide cornbread mixture over the chili, dolloping in sections and then spreading into an even layer. Place pans in Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 2 hours
6) Remove pans from Suvie and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Divide portions onto plates and garnish with extra scallion greens, if desired.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 350, Total Fat 9g, Total Carbohydrates 52g, Total Sodium 810mg, Total Protein 17g.