Five spice powder is an aromatic blend of star anise, cloves, cinnamon, sichuan pepper, fennel, and other spices that pair beautifully with rich and meaty short ribs. In this recipe we season the short ribs with five spice powder and slow cook them in a mix of shaoxing wine, ginger, and garlic. The short ribs, which can be shredded or left whole, are served over fluffy jasmine rice and garnished with fresh cilantro. The braising liquid is deeply flavorful and perfect for spooning over the short ribs. If desired, reduce the liquid on the stovetop for a thicker sauce.
5 Spice Short Ribs
- 24 oz boneless beef short ribs
- 1 tbsp 5 spice powder
- 1 cup shaoxing wine
- ½ cup water
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white rice
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
1) Pat 24 oz short ribs dry and season all over with kosher salt, black pepper, and 1 tbsp 5 spice powder.
2) Stir 1 cup shaoxing wine, 1/2 cup water, 1 piece ginger, and 2 sliced garlic cloves together in a Suvie pan. Nestle short ribs into liquid and insert pan into the bottom zone of your Suvie.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 6 hours
3) Place 1 cup jasmine rice in a Suvie rice pot (black handles). Place pot inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Close the door, input settings, and cook now or schedule.pan and insert into your Suvie.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Long Grain, 1 Cup
4) After the short ribs are done cooking, broil for 10-12 minutes or until fragrant and browned.
5) Fluff rice and then divide between bowls and top with short ribs. Skim fat from surface of pan and discard. For a thicker sauce, transfer liquid to a small saucepan over high heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Spoon sauce over short ribs, garnish with cilantro, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 540, Total Fat 21g, Total Carbohydrates 57g, Total Sodium 920mg, Total Protein 36g