Leave the meat at the store, and dig into this veggie and budget friendly harvest bowl. Slow cooked thyme-spiced squash and beans give this dish a hearty foundation, while baby bella mushrooms lend a delicious and nutritious earthiness. Make the prep work easier, and pick up pre cut butternut squash and sliced mushrooms at your local grocery store.
Butternut Squash Harvest Bowls
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut in quarters
- 1 (15½ oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 6 oz whole wheat orzo
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, grated
1) Divide butternut squash, 1 can beans, 8 oz mushrooms, 1 cup vegetable broth, and 6 sprigs thyme between two Suvie pans, season with salt and pepper, and load into Suvie. Enter cook settings and Cook Now or Schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on High, 2 hours
2) Place 6 oz orzo in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot (green handles). Cover pot with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Pasta, 1 cups, 9 minutes
3) After the cook, remove butternut squash, bean mix, and orzo from Suvie. Remove thyme sprigs and squash. Lightly mash bean mix to break up beans, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4) To serve, divide squash and orzo between four bowls. Top with bean mix. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves and Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 698, Total Fat 6g, Total Carbohydrates 149g, Total Sodium 199mg, Total Protein 24g
This recipe is a nice healthy fall dish with a loooot of butternut squash. The butternut squash came out tender. I was confused by the directions on how much orzo to put in. 6 oz of uncooked orzo is 1 cup which seemed to be enough.