This dish was created by Chef Massimo Bottura, the mastermind behind Osteria Francescana, a 3-Michelin star restaurant that consistently ranks among the world’s best. An adaptation of the famous Roman dish Cacio e Pepe, Parmigiano Reggiano takes the place of Pecorino Romano cheese and Arborio rice stands in for the spaghetti pasta. Simple, rich, and creamy this is Italian comfort food at its finest.
Cacio e Pepe Risotto
- ½ yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 parmesan rind
- 3 cups chicken stock, divided
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1) Combine the diced onion, garlic, and butter in a Suvie pan.
Season generously with salt and broil for 10 minutes until the onion is softened.
2) Add the arborio rice and stir to combine.
Nestle the parmesan rind into the rice and cover with 1.5 cups of chicken stock.
Place in the upper right zone. Fill reservoir, enter settings, and set to Cook Now or Schedule
Slow Cook & Starch
High: 1 hour
Starch: 0 minutes
3) After the cook remove the pan from Suvie. Warm the remaining 1.5 cups chicken stock in the microwave or in a small saucepan on the stove. Remove the parmesan rind, then stir in the warm chicken stock. Add the grated parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper and stir until creamy.
4) Divide between plates, garnish with more grated parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 402, Total Fat 28g, Total Carbohydrates 40g, Total Sodium 944mg, Total Protein 18g