Flank steak seasoned with a marinade of freshly squeezed citrus, cilantro and a bit of spice comprises this essential Latin American dish. Finishing the steak with a quick sear in a hot pan makes it simply irresistible. You can serve the steak any way you like either as tacos, in a bowl, over lettuce as a salad or even by itself.
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil, plus 1 tbsp divided
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced, plus extra wedges for garnish
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1½ pounds flank steak
1) Whisk together 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce, juice from 1 orange, juice from 1 lime, 4 garlic cloves, 1 jalapeño, 1 tsp cumin, and 1 tsp chili powder in a large bowl. Set aside ½ cup sauce for Step 4.
2) Sprinkle 1 1/2 lbs steak liberally with kosher salt and pepper. Place steak in a vacuum bag and pour remaining marinade over the steak. Place steak in a Suvie pan, fill pan with water to cover, and insert pan in the bottom zone of Suvie. Enter cook settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 125°F for rare, 130°F for medium rare, 140°F for medium, 1 hour
Top Zone: None
3) Remove steak from the bag and pat dry liberally with paper towels. Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a cast-iron pan over high heat. Once the oil begins to smoke and shimmer, add the steak and sear until well browned, about 30 seconds to 1 minute per side.
4) Remove the steak from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Slice steak into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Pour remaining marinade over the steak and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (5 servings per recipe): Calories 357, Total Fat 25.8g, Total Carbohydrates 4.2g, Total Sodium 118mg, Total Protein 29.3g