This classic Chinese-American dish sits at the intersection of comfort food, easy prep, and health-conscious. This recipe uses the chicken marinade as the finishing sauce by combining cornstarch with the marinade after the cook then broiling until the sauce has thickened. While this recipe doesn’t have wheat as a starch, soy sauce and oyster sauce typically contain wheat so if you’re looking to make this meal completely gluten-free look for gluten-free options at your local grocery store or online. Dabble in this delicious stir-fry inspired dish and leave the take out for another night.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, sauté onion, garlic, ginger, and 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes, instead of broiling in Step 1.
Cashew Chicken and Rice
- ½ yellow onion, thinly chopped
- 5 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 10 oz broccoli florets
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ⅓ cup cashews, coarsely chopped
1. Stir 1/2 yellow onion, 3 garlic cloves, and 1 tbsp ginger with 1½ tbsp vegetable oil together in a Suvie pan. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie and broil for 15 minutes or until fragrant
2. Whisk 2 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp soy sauce, and 2 tsp brown sugar into the onion mixture.
3. Season chicken breasts with 1 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper. Transfer onion mixture and chicken to a vacuum bag and seal. Place chicken in a Suvie pan, fill with water, and load into the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 150°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: None
4. Place 1 cup jasmine rice in the Suvie rice pot (black handles). Place pot inside the Suvie starch cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Enter cook settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Long Grain, 1 cup
5. After cooking, remove pans from Suvie. Pour off water from chicken pan, then pour marinade from chicken back into the pan. Mix 2 tbsp water with 1 tbsp cornstarch then whisk into marinade. Return the pan to bottom zone of Suvie.
6. Toss 10 oz broccoli with 2 tsp vegetable oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Broil, 15 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 400°F for 20 minutes
7. While the sauce broils and the broccoli roasts, chop the chicken into 1-inch cubes. When the broil is complete, toss the chicken with the marinade. Divide the rice and broccoli between plates and top with chicken. Sprinkle 1/3 cup cashews over each plate and enjoy!