This easy and delicious black bean soup recipe does not scrimp on flavor. Onions, garlic, cumin, coriander, and chipotle peppers in adobo are slow cooked with brothy black beans until tender. Once the soup has cooked, half of the mixture is pureed to create a hearty, yet, creamy texture. This soup has a robust smoky-spicy flavor provided by the chipotle peppers, which are simply dried, smoked jalapenos. The adobo is a tangy tomato sauce added during the canning process to rehydrate the dried chilis while also providing additional flavor. Be sure to top your black bean soup with a wide array of toppings such as sour cream, fresh cilantro, pickled red onions, avocados, or lime wedges.
Chipotle Black Bean Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1) Divide onion, garlic, black beans, cumin, coriander, salt, chipotle peppers, oil, and broth between two Suvie pans, stirring to incorporate (to streamline this process you can mix everything in a large bowl and then divide the soup between the two Suvie pans). Insert both pans into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 2 hours
2) After the cook, remove 1 pan from your Suvie and transfer the contents to a food processor or blender and pulse until semi-smooth.
3) Remove second pan from your Suvie. Transfer beans from food processor to a large bowl and stir in remaining beans. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the soup between 4 bowls and garnish with your favorite toppings.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 2 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving without toppings (4 servings per recipe): Calories 170, Total Fat 5g, Total Carbohydrates 23g, Total Sodium 1097mg, Total Protein 10g