Steak and potatoes are a classic pairing. Savory, rich beef is the ideal complement for tender and fluffy potatoes. In this recipe we cook the steak and potatoes in the Suvie and then finish them both on the stovetop for additional browning. We drizzle the steak and potatoes with a simple garlic herb butter for additional richness and flavor. Substitute parsley, basil, tarragon, or rosemary for the thyme if desired.
Classic Steak and Potatoes
- 2 (5 oz) steaks, vacuum sealed
- 12 oz fingerling or baby potatoes
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme
1) Place steaks in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 130°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: None
2) Place 12 oz potatoes in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot. Cover pot with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring the pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Potatoes, Whole, 40 minutes
3) While the steaks cook, stir butter, garlic, and thyme together in a small bowl.
3) After the cook, remove pans from Suvie. Remove steak from packaging and pat dry thoroughly. Cut potatoes in half. Heat vegetable oil in a large cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add the steaks and sear for 1 to 2 minutes per side until browned. Transfer to a cutting board.
4) Reduce heat to medium and transfer potatoes to empty skillet cut-side down. Cook without moving for 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Remove skillet from heat and stir in half the reserved garlic butter, stirring to coat.
5) Divide steaks and potatoes between two plates, topping steaks with remaining garlic butter.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 540, Total Fat 28g, Total Carbohydrates 31g, Total Sodium 580mg, Total Protein 36g