These steak tacos are a step above the rest thanks to a two-step cooking process. First, the steaks are sous vide to ensure a perfect temperature throughout. Then, the steaks are rubbed with a combination of cumin and chili powder, and seared until well browned and fragrant. The spices develop a crust on the exterior of the meat, giving the steak more texture. A simple lime crema, some chopped onion, and a little cilantro are all you need to finish off your street-style tacos.
Note: If you would like, add 1-2 tsps homemade Taco Seasoning to add even more flavor to this delicious meal.
Family Friendly: Steak Tacos
- 2 (5 oz) sirloin steaks, vacuum sealed
- 4 flour tortillas (warmed)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chopped white onion
1) Place steaks in a Suvie pan, and cover with water. Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 130°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: Sous Vide at 130°F for 1 hour
2) While the steaks cook, zest lime into a small bowl, cut in half, and then squeeze half the lime over the zest. Stir in sour cream and then transfer bowl to refrigerator.
3) After the steaks have finished cooking, remove from packaging and pat dry thoroughly. Season steaks with kosher salt, ground black pepper, chili powder, and cumin.
4) Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add steaks in an even layer, pressing gently to adhere to the pan. Sear for 1-2 minutes per side until browned. Remove from skillet and transfer to a cutting board.
5) Cut steak into bite-size pieces. fill tortillas with steak pieces. Drizzle with sour cream mixture, top with cilantro and white onion, and serve.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top right zone of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Protein to 130°F for 1 hour”
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 470, Total Fat 22g, Total Carbohydrates 31g, Total Sodium 990mg, Total Protein 36g